Light can illuminate and heighten our sense of space, or flatten it altogether. In theater light creates atmosphere simply by altering its color. Light is a beacon that can show us the way or it can drastically alter our perceptions of space. Light can inform an experience, or turn viewers into performers. Light can breakdown barriers and upend power structures by being overtly activist.
For this assignment you must utilize light to alter our perspective or visually alter an object. The alteration can be purely aesthetic or activist in nature, the choice is yours, but you must defend your choice.
- As we have done for each project, begin by brainstorming and sketching ideas in your sketchbook.
- Based on your sketches either craft or find the object you plan to enhance. An object can be any of the following:
- a physical model of a building (this can be made from any material of your choice)
- a high contrast typographic poster (done either by hand or digitally)
- the movable gallery walls
- a found object that you paint white
- Bring your object to life by enhancing it using any of the following:
- any projected source of light
- Lastly document your work with video and photography for the final critique